1848 Houlton Academy, forerunner of Ricker Classical
Institute, was founded as the first secondary school in Aroostook
1873 Legislature acts to authorize public schools
forceing the closure of Houlton Academy.
1874 The Academy was reestablished by the Rev. Joseph
Rickera profesor at Colby University (now Colby College) as the Eastern
Prepatory School of that college.
1886 Wording Hall was constructed with a gift
from Mrs. Catherine Wording.
1887 Houlton Academy renamed Ricker Classical Institute
in honor of the Rev. Joseph Ricker.
1891 Fifth year of courses added to the curriculum.
1926 Junior College program started as an outgrowth
of RCI's postgraduate course.
1944 Wording Hall destroyed by fire.
1946 New Wording Hall constructed (now Ricker Plaza).
1948 Centennial year celebration. Putnam Gymnasium
1949 Ricker chartered as a four year liberal arts
1966 Accreditation granted by New England Asociation
of Collagesand Secondary Schools.
1966 Ricker Classical Institute suspends classes
because of loss of students due to passage of the Sinclair Bill which established
School Administrative Districts in the state.
1969 Library resource center opened (now Department
of Human Serices).
1978 Ricker College official closes. The Board
of Trustees remains alive.
1986 The first Ricker College Trustee Scholarsips
1987 The first scholarship recipients graduate from
1990 The first recipients to recieve four-year
1995 The Board of Trustees voted $105,7000 for scholarships.
1995 One hundred and eight college students will recieve
scholarships for the academic year 1995-1996.
1995 Within the next two or three years, the Board
of Trustees will have invested one million dollars or more in the young
people of Aroostook and Washington counties.
1995 RICKER REUNION '95 was held in Houlton on July
21, 22, and 23.
1998 RICKER.NET website was uploaded to the Internet
... welcome back!!!
Sponsors | Ricker
Home Page | E-Mail
Copyright© 1998 - 2000
- Houlton.Net | ProTecT Online